Saturday, March 27, 2010

Copycat

One of those random floating around the net pictures, not mine!

So one of my biggest fears as a crafter is not only being copied, but copying someone else. Of course I would never purposely copy someone. However, I've noticed that, like any human being, I tend to be influenced by my favorite artists or even work that I see just one time. Sometimes I will catch myself and think Hmm I feel like I've seen this somewhere before, but I'm constantly afraid that I may not catch myself, and I might subconsciously copy someone. My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts because I will scour the internet for other crafters and plush artists and ask him how similar he feels my work is to theirs. I admit that it seems silly, but I've crafted things before and then seen plush almost identical in concept to what I've created. Usually, mine have been made after theirs, so then I sit and think about if I've ever stumbled across the image before. Often I come to the conclusion that we just have similar ideas, and I honestly do not remember ever seeing their work. I guess what it really boils down to is that I want to be original, but there is seldom an idea that hasn't been thought of previously. And to the copycats that know exactly what they're doing, make something that reflects you instead - it's much more impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment