Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lesson Learned


This is Penelope. She's cute as a button, but in reality she's a happy little mistake. I just about gave up on her and sent her to the plush graveyard quite a few times. I get so caught up in sewing sometimes that I will sketch something onto the material I am making the plush out of and just go at it without a second glance. Last night, I was SO ready to use this purple tipped white faux fur for a little bunny. It's my favorite faux fur that came in the scrap box I ordered - so soft and long and awesome colored! I made the little lady's face, and immediately I was in love with her. So I sketched up the body on the fur and got down to cutting. I sewed her together, and then I was ready for the "birthing" where I turn it right side out. Unfortunately, I didn't take into account how long the fur was and that her ears needed to be a little wider than usual so that I could turn them out easily. I normally have a really hard time turning them out as it is, so the added fur made it impossible. I spent at least 30 minutes in labor trying to turn her ears out, and my shirt took the punishment for me.


I had just gotten home from my day job and I hadn't changed my shirt yet. Lint roller anyone? Anyway, I got pretty pissed off and broke a couple of pens in the process, then went to bed for the night. Today I decided that I loved this tiny thing too much to give up, so I sewed bear-like ears under where I sewed the long ears and cut off the excess. I still think she's adorable even though her ears are not very bunnyish. At least I learned not to rush things when I'm dealing with my favorite (and only) scrap of material.

No comments:

Post a Comment