Friday, March 5, 2010

In honor of Snowmageddon


Well it really had nothing to do with "Snowmageddon" to begin with, but I guess it's a fitting thing to sew right now. And notice the lack of snow in my surroundings :) Anyway, this is part of my entry for Plush You's Olympic Challenge. There's much more to it than this, but I'm still working on the rest. This little eskimo had my fingers about ready to fall off last night. The suede his body is made out of did not agree with my sewing machine, so I did it by hand instead. He's one of the smallest things I've made - he easily fits in the palm of my hand - and I think he turned out pretty much how I sketched him up.

I used a different technique for closing him up and stuffing him than I normally do, and it was actually pretty difficult for me. In the most recent issue of Stuffed, plush artist Kathryn Paul talked about how she sews the entire body of her Longtails closed, then cuts out a circle for the face, which she uses to turn it right side out. Since the faces on her Longtails really reminded me of the faces on my own work, I though I'd try her technique. I'm sure it goes much smoother for her than it did for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment