Sunday, March 7, 2010

Craft Shows

I wanted to be almost done with my Plush You Olympic Challenge entry by now, but I've been working "the day job" so much that I've been too tired to think. Waitressing seems to suck the life out of me on the weekends.
On a positive note, I got to visit a local craft show yesterday that was pretty awesome! The above picture is me on the left and my best friend Caitlin on the right after a long afternoon of Goodwill shopping and booth hopping. My mom and little brother came also, and it was a lot of fun. Here's an funny booth we came across where a woman made fake "spilled things."I realized a few things while I was at the show: I seriously BELONG in craft shows where I'm surrounded by like minded people. It was great to understand where each vendor was coming from and see the hard work behind their items and prices. I also realized that my work and I really are unique. Being on the internet and following all of the latest plush artists and crafters is amazing, but sometimes it can be a little disheartening when you feel like someone is doing exactly what you want to do, only better. It took a long time to gain confidence in my craft, and being at a local event where there was literally nothing even remotely similar to my style or crafts made me feel great.

One last thing I'm excited about - At the show, I was handed a couple of fliers to upcoming shows and whatnot, so I decided to apply to be a vendor at them. When I signed in to my email today to contact the event organizers, I already had an email from a woman saying that she liked the stuff in my shop and was wondering if I would be interested in having a booth at a local craft show/festival she was putting together! It's on April 17th, so for the next month, I'm going to be working like crazy on my inventory. As soon as I get this darn contest entry finished...

No comments:

Post a Comment